Thousands of households can get free cash for food, energy and heating

THOUSANDS of households can claim free cash to help with household bills and essentials such as groceries.

The Government’s Household Support Fund has been DOUBLED and local councils are starting to reveal what help they will provide.

Thousands of households can get cash from the Household Support Fund


Thousands of households can get cash from the Household Support FundCredit: Getty

The scheme originally launched in October 2021 and was set to finish in March.

But Chancellor Rishi Sunak revealed in his Spring Statement that he was adding another £500million to the scheme, which will now continue until September.

The extension offers support for families who can’t afford living costs, and applications are open now for residents of Salford City Council.

The Household Support Fund sees money dished out to local councils across the country to help provide support to low income and vulnerable residents in their area.

Each local authority decides what help to give and who is eligible.

For example, Torbay Council is giving out £50 towards food to help cash-strapped residents, and another £50 towards energy bills.

So it’s worth checking which is your local council and finding out what help is on offer in your area.

Salford residents will be able to claim free cash under the scheme to help with essentials.

Vulnerable households in the area can now access support to help them with the cost of living and other essentials.

You do not need to be on benefits to apply, but you must provide evidence that you do not have the funds to help with living costs.

Funding is available through Salford City Council’s Salford Assist team.

The support will mostly be awarded in a way of a grant, lending money for household needs. These include: 

  • Purchasing food 
  • Household heating 
  • Help in paying energy, water and utility bills 
  • Thermal curtains to keep homes warm 

Salford Assist will also help with referrals to other agencies to ensure you are getting the help you need.

If you’re not sure whether you fit the criteria, speak to the council directly.

You have to fill out an online form to apply for the cash support, and you may be asked for evidence of your financial struggle.

The Sun has contacted Salford council to find out exactly how much you can claim and we’ll update this story when we know more.

What other help can I get?

There are other schemes in place that may be able to provide support if you are struggling to afford essentials.

It’s worth using a benefits calculator to check what you may be entitled to.

Charities such as Turn2us offer free online tools that can help.

You may also be available for a grant from energy providers, which have hardship funds that pay out up to £750 to those in energy debt.

Water companies are also offering up to £800 for those in debt.

And if you’re struggling with debt, you can contact charities and organisations which can offer free help and advice:

  • National Debtline – 0808 808 4000
  • Step Change – 0800 138 1111
  • Citizens Advice – 0808 800 9060

We pay for your stories!

Do you have a story for The Sun Online Money team?

Comments are closed.