USC Football returns to the Coliseum, hosting the state of Oregon for the first time since 2017
John McGillen / USC Athletics
Football | September 19, 2021
* USC, after an exciting comeback win at the Palouse, welcomes Oregon State to the Coliseum for the first time since 2017 as the Pac-12 teams battle under the lights on FS1.
* USC has won 85% of its games against the Beavers, including 24 straight wins in Los Angeles.
* USC interim head coach Donte Williams makes his coaching debut at the Colosseum in a stadium just a few kilometers from his birthplace.
* It’s USC’s Zero Waste Game, part of Pac-12’s Zero Waste Challenge, to see which school can divert the most waste from landfills to recycling and composting.
* USC overcame a lot of adversity – rain, a fresh replacement quarterback, a 14-point deficit in the second half, a week of distractions while changing coach – to get a 45-point run in its Washington state win last week . Real newbie QB Jaxson darts was called to his first college action as a QB Kedon Slowis went down on the game’s opening drive and darts put in a historic performance (his 391 pass yards were most of a trojan in a debut). WR Drake London, who ranks second in receptions and sixth in receiving yards, had the best 13 catches of his career with WSU, while WR Gary Bryant Jr. Also played a prominent role. USC’s defense stiffened in the second half behind inspired play from players like OLB Drake Jackson (End zone strip sack), DL Tuli Tuipulotu (TD Fumble Recovery) and Ss Calen Bullock (Key monitoring) and Chase Williams (6 stops). NS Parker Lewis was perfect on field goals and PATs this season, while the 30-year-old Aussie P Ben Griffiths averages more than 46 yards on his boots. USC’s offense has shot in the red zone all 12 times this season, while the Trojan defense limits opponents less than 60% of the time.
* Oregon State head coach Jonathan Smith’s club have won their last 2 games, including against Idaho last weekend. The OSU offensive outperforms the Pac-12 in the overall offensive. Offensively, QB Chance Nolan (a 70 percent passerby) calls the signals while RB BJ Baylor leads the ground attack (his 7 rushing TDs are the most in the country) and WRs Trevon Bradford and Anthony Gould are the top pass catchers. ILB’s Avery Roberts, an All-Pac-12 first-team player who leads the league in one-on-one, and Omar Speights highlight the Beaver defense.
* USC’s 2020 Tokyo Olympians (65 Trojans participated and brought home 21 medals) will be honored during the game, as will the Women of Troy 2021 NCAA Championship track team.
* The Trojans and Beavers will also meet in women’s football this weekend, on Friday at USC’s Soni McAlister Field.
* USC and Oregon State are not rated in the latest AP Sports Media and USA Today coach surveys.
* USC tops its streak with 1914 Oregon State 63-11-4. The Trojans have won 36 of their last 40 encounters with the Beavers (one loss in 2000 broke Troy’s Pac-10 record of 26 consecutive wins over the Beavers), including the last 4th USC has recorded 17 shutouts in the series (including 2 goalless tie).
* In the Los Angeles area games, USC has beaten the Beavers 24 in a row (OSU last won LA in 1960) for a total of 42-3-3.
* The teams last met in Corvallis in 2018, as USC TB Aca’Cedric ware ran 205 yards and 3 touchdowns, including a long pair, for a career high, and the Trojan defense posted 6 sacks to help the Trojans score a 38-21 victory over the Beavers. Averaged 12.1 yards on his 17 carries. Fellow TB Vavae Malepeai ran 15 tries for the best 101 yards of the career. USC jumped 21-0 in the lead.
* USC has won 70.0% (480-197-29) of its games against current Pac-12 opponents (excluding 9 wins that were later vacated due to an NCAA penalty; original record: 489-197-29, 70, 4%).
* USC has an all-time record of 188-54-8 (0.768) while playing in September (excluding 3 wins canceled due to an NCAA penalty; original record: 191-54-8, 0.771).
IN THE COLISEUM
* USC has an all-time record of 453-142-27 (.750) in the Colosseum since the stadium opened in 1923 (excluding 6 wins cleared due to an NCAA penalty; original record: 459-142-27, .752 ). USC’s 628 games at the Coliseum (including 6 cleared wins) are the third most played by a school in their home stadium (after Georgia Tech’s 709 at Bobby Dodd Stadium and Tennessee’s 631 at Neyland Stadium).
* USC is 182-69-4 (.722) at night, including 107-32-4 in the Colosseum, 60-29 in the street, and 15-8 in neutral locations. (Does not include 5 wins and 1 loss cleared due to an NCAA penalty; original record: 187-70-4, .724 total, 110-32-4 in the Colosseum, 17-9 in neutral locations, USC had a school record 32-game winning streak at home on the night of 1997 on 2010.)
LINKS TO USC OREGON STATE
* USC has 2 players on their roster who have attended Oregon High Schools – DL Brandon Pilic (Westview HS) and ILB Eli’jah Winston (Central Catholic HS) – while the Beavers have 44 Californians.